Red Onion, Feta, Cheddar and Rosemary Muffins

Sunday, March 25, 2012

















I completely forgot to mention that my Saturday Morning also involved baking these delicious mini-morsels of savoury goodness.

They're caramelised red onion, feta, cheddar and rosemary muffins. I've been craving something like this ever since the EEWI Bake Sale at Spitalfields a few weekends ago when I sampled some of Clare's savoury feta, chive and cheddar muffins. After eventually giving into the savoury cravings, I went through every single one of my recipe books and can you believe it - not a single savoury muffin in sight. Thank goodness for the internet!

After a bit of reading around, I chose two recipes which I more-or-less combined. This one by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on the Guardian Website has a really nice write-up that I chuckled my way through: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/05/savoury-muffin-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

Then there's Delia's version which seemed easier to handle: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/savoury/savoury-mini-muffins-with-two-flavourings.html

I used Delia's recipe but Hugh's 'filling recipe' to create a caramelised red onion (caramelised and reduced in butter) mix with chopped feta and cheddar. I added the rosemary to the sifted flour, taking care to sift it as high up as possible to include more air and make it lighter.

















Clare mentioned to me that it's really important to keep your dry and wet ingredients separate, and that your cheese should be added to the dry before combining - so that's what I did. I then made a well in the middle and mixed in the wet ingredients, incorporating and folding with a wooden spoon until the flour was just mixed in.

















I really like the idea of mini bite-sized morsels so I opted to use my 24-hole mini muffin tin which I lined with floral paper cases (I don't like to touch food that other people are going to eat, so there you go).






















And voila! The funny thing about baking in this house is that nobody eats the sweet treats. I can bake magnificent cakes and cupcakes, traybakes and treats - but they get left there. But when I bake a savoury morsel.... well, let's just say that mixture made two trays (48 mini muffins) and there are about 15 left.

If you've got a spare moment do pop over to Hugh's recipe and read his write-up about the humble muffin, the cakey American counterpart to the English yeasty afternoon tea treat. Delia's recipe is concise and easy to follow, and the results are delicious!

You Might Also Like

2 comments