Wednesday WIP: Folklore Moroccan Cross Stitch

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Last week I showed you my progress on my Moroccan Cross Stitch cushion. It's a scatter cushion pouf (I really feel uncomfortable about that word) and I really, really, really like it.

I'm delighted to say that I finished the stitching! "Delighted" is an understatement. I'm giddy with stitching excitement that this project is finally done and I can move on to something else! I'm fed up with all of the itty bitty blocks and pattern counting (I've got to get a wash-out cross stitch pattern-marking pen!), and I'm definitely fed up with stitching in purple. But - I love the result.

















Isn't it lovely? It really bugs me that the design looks like it should be symmetrical in stitching, but in reality it's not. I know that you won't know it's there - but I know it. I know where the little hoops and loops aren't quite equal on all sides, and I know where I've made minor adjustments to get it just right. I'm not sure why the designer did it this way, but now you know: if you like symmetry, fix the pattern before you start.

I initially thought that the colours were too bold, but now I like it. A lot.

















This is my favourite part: the paisley clusters. Sorry about the lighting - it's pouring with rain here in London Town and it doesn't make for very good photographs at all!






















I think that the Amy Butler fabric goes really nicely with the bold colours of the stitchery. I had reservations about this colourway initially - it's not at all what I usually like - but it all seems to come together quite nicely.

















I like the width of the panels. I'm going to stitch these together to form a long strip of vertical stripes... and that should make the side panel to go around the pouf. Cushion. Thingamajig.

















I might have to hold back on my fabric enthusiasm here. It looks like a bad 70s decor scheme when they get so close together!

















... and while I'm photographic strips of beautiful fabrics on my table, I thought I'd also share a pic of the flowers Graeme bought for me this weekend. Nothing cheers up your workspace like an explosion of fabric and florals! It's all a lot cosier in here now.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Yay! love the this selection of fabrics as well. Looking forward to seeing the completed floor cushion... you are so inspiring Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! I am hoping to get some sewing time in this weekend so there will be plenty of pics next week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks amazing! So much work too.
    LOVE the colours - big surprise there :)
    Makes me want to fish out my needle and threads for a stitchery project or 10.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your lovely comments! I will reply to you as soon as I can by email, or here if you are a no-reply-blogger. x