Gratitude Journal, Day Eighteen

Friday, October 25, 2013



It's been an awfully long day. I've been working at an enormous event for a client, and my feet, my heart, my soul are all equally tired. Today, I am grateful for a hot bath at the end of the day, and for my husband's company on the long train journey home (he came to meet me at the event in the afternoon). Even if he is a bit miffed that I'm sitting at my computer now instead of sitting on the sofa with him. Just two more minutes, I'll be there soon.

However, the point of a gratitude journal, I think, is that you find something small that powers you through the day. Having a positive thought at the end of the day is an added bonus, but really, you need something meaningful - for you - that makes focussing on the good so much easier throughout the day. This morning I had a Very Long Train Journey which gave me plenty of time to think about it.


The positive thought and thanks that got me through the day was this: I am grateful for my once-a-month knit and natter group who get together for two hours on a Thursday evening to have a glass of wine (or a pint of beer, or a drop of whisky) and chat about life, the universe and everything. There is usually quite a bit of knitting and un-knitting happening, a spot of crochet, and a lot of yarn appreciation. The sound of ideas, sharing, and laughter mixed with the clickety-clack of knitting needles is rather lovely and creates a wonderful sense of community and togetherness. In these two hours, you forget about everything else and you just be.

Never underestimate the power of a shared hobby, a shared natter and a jolly good glass of wine.


You Might Also Like

0 comments