Gratitude Journal, Day Twenty Seven

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Today, I'm really grateful for blogland - and that there are people out there who share amazing things with the rest of the world.

I have been working on some gifts for a special occasion (I'm making these pretty potholders by NanaCompany) and I needed some bias binding. I have some stashed away, but it's the stiff polyester stuff and it wouldn't do at all.

It's Sunday, and the shops are shut - and really, I'm trying very hard not to buy anything at all and to use everything we have already (the good stuff is nigh on £3 a metre, so it can get really quite expensive!). So, I had to make some of my own bias binding.

Which is a pain.



Have you ever tried? There's an awful lot of measuring and 45' checking, and stripping, and sewing together. I rarely use bias binding (opting instead for the straight-cut version which is infinitely easier) but when there are round corners involved, you definitely need some bias. It's got to have give.

And so, thank goodness for the continuous bias binding method which allows you to make metres of bias binding in one continuous swoop! I use the Dread Pirate Rodgers method which makes best use of every bit of fabric (no wastage) and all it requires is a bit of lateral thinking and some accurate(ish) measuring.

It's really only worthwhile doing this if you need quite a bit of binding, but it's really worth giving it a go. I used a 120cm x 60cm strip of fabric, and made more than enough binding for the potholders and for another project I have in mind. Ta da!


I never, ever would have thought of this extremely clever and economical way of making your own bias binding. If it wasn't for the internet - and more importantly, for the amazing generosity of those bloggers who share their tips and tricks like this - I would have spent a few days measuring, stripping and stitching up enough binding for my projects. 

And so, that's my positive thought for the day. 

Incidentally, today I also used the internet to find an amazing tomato chilli jam recipe, to talk to my mom who lives in South Africa, to order a birthday gift for my husband, and to find alternate recipe ideas for dill (no fish please!). All in one go. It's incredible how wonderfully connected we all are!

You Might Also Like

1 comments