P is for Productivity

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Are you ready? I'm super excited about this ta da moment.


All of the animals have been traced, cut, stuck and positioned on the quilt front... completely ahead of schedule. Ah, bank holiday weekends. Some of the animals go in two-by-two, and some are greedier: we have five quails, three zebras, three chickens, four fish, three newts.

I like to think that the hardest part is over, but now I need to find two pieces of quilt wadding THAT FIT to line the back, and start the free-motion outlining of each colour. Slow and steady.


Rainy weather is a great for getting things done. I've also cut back on work - slowly - so I'm doing less driving around and attending meetings (very good for the nausea), and more time working on illustrations and designs (very good for the soul). There are some exciting projects coming out of my studio, I hope to be able to share them with you soon!

In the meantime, I've also been doing some of this:


I had no intention of starting a new project, but it just sort of happened. I'm trying to clear up and clear out all the things I've stored away for a rainy day - including those bits of fabrics that are too small for a project, but too precious to throw away. 



The result is a lot of little squares, slowly being pieced together to make a postage stamp quilt. I'm making them with 2.5" squares which results in a 2" square block on the quilt, and although I originally aimed for 2,000 blocks, it's probably going to be more like 900. My little sewing machine has been hard at work with the zip zipping along of quarter-inch seams.

The piecing is the fun bit: cutting down fat quarters into 2.5"squares is not fun. There's a lot of measuring and pressing involved, and the occasional unhappy exclamation when the perfect 2.5" square shifts at the last minute and puts out an entire row of "postage stamp" seams. I think this calls for a weekend in front of the TV with a cutting mat and an iron nearby.

This little quilt is all for me. My first ever "all for me" project. So indulgent.

You Might Also Like

3 comments